I love catching my kids in the moment. The earnestness on the face is so much better than dealing with that mega-fake smile that should be reserved for Jostens day at school.
In my last post, I mentioned the key ingredients to taking a better snapshot in the moment. But the real secret to making a good grab shot happen?
Putting together the right combination of settings makes it easier to life the camera to your eye, take the photo and get the shot you want:
1. Turn on your camera.
2. Pick a white balance that matches your lighting conditions.
3. Turn off your flash if you don’t need it.
4. Set your camera to P, TV, Av/S or M.
5. Dial in your ISO, shutter speed and/or aperture (depending on what you did in #4).
6. Look around for a great potential shot.
7. Lift the camera to your eye and become a human tripod.
8. Lock in your focus.
9. Wait for the moment.