October 31, 2011

Bonus – How to deal with the scariest things in your snapshots.


I’m afraid of things that go bump in the night.

Specifically, I’m afraid of ME when I go bump in the night. I have a nasty habit of bumping one of the dials on my big SLR camera in the middle of shoots. That dial turns my shutter speed down and from time to time I notice that I’ve ratcheted down the speed so far that I get shaky, blurry photos.

Grrr.

I compensate by looking at my meter every half dozen shots (or pulling my face away from the viewscreen long enough to look at the back of the camera.

Talk to anyone with a camera and they’re afraid of something. Here’s a few quick fixes to the things Frame One snapshooters fear...

Photos are blurry.
There’s a good chance your shutter speed it too low. Try turning yourself into a human tripod and keeping your shutter speed at a minimum level (like 1/60 for average portraits).

Photos are crazy bright.
Turn off your flash – and play with ISO, aperture or shutter speed to get more light into the camera.

You’ll lose your photos.
Create a filing system – and backup, backup, backup. I’ve just started experimenting with an EyeFi card to wirelessly (and automatically) transfer my photos to my computer. I automatically backup every 20 minutes or so.

I don’t know how to do [THAT THING YOU DON’T KNOW HOW TO DO].
Photography is all about solving problems one at a time. Diagnose what’s wrong with the photo, then look in your manual, on the web (might I suggest Frame One’s blog?) or ask on our Facebook Forumns.

See? Nothing to be scared of. Now get out there and take some spooky Hallowe’en pics!

Want more ideas on taking snapshots? Join us over at Frame One's Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment